Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Winter Grades

So I think that the grades I got for Fall Quarter were really just a fluke. I mean, I thought I had this whole 'going to college' thing figured out, so I wasn't bothering to check on my grades for Winter. Big mistake. I honestly thought I was doing great in my classes and would improve my cumulative GPA. Then of course I got my grades. I don't want a bunch of hoopla so here they are:

Biological Anthropology: 2.1
English 276 (LotR): 1.4
English 101: 1.7

So yeah. I think the reason I got a 2.1 in Anthropology is because I had the same professor last quarter and he didn't want me to get too bad of a grade. The grades came out on the 31st and I was a bit busy so I'm posting them today... on April 1st. Yeah, April Fools :)

Okay, so now the real post begins.

Winter Quarter was a lot of fun and I'm going to miss going to those classes. It was awesome learning more about evolution. My faith hasn't been changed in any way, and I've accepted evolution for years now. So I haven't been indoctrinated or anything like that. Sounds like an opportunity for a blog post. Anyway, the Grade.

Biological Anthropology 3.3
I'm happy with it, but I was really hoping (and aiming for, mind you) a higher grade. I got a 3.7 in Psychology with the same professor but I guess I just did better. It was probably the mid-term and final that got me. It only gets better from here though.

Lord of the Rings was obviously the class I was looking forward to the most. I'd be reading one of the most important literary works of the 20th century and poring over it with a professor who obviously knows the material, and students who know it as well or might be reading it for the first time. I was always talking in that class, and in a constructive way. Like I said before, there was a really cute girl who knew just about everything Lord of the Rings back to front. We'd always have really fun debates and arguments about how to interpret the text. I'm really gonna miss going. A lot.

Lord of the Rings 3.6
Just about what I figured. Three exams and essays, lowest score dropped. 10 quizzes, two lowest scores dropped. For the two essays I handed in, I got solid B's and was proud of them. I did all three exams and was only one point away from the highest score each time. I also had a couple missteps when it came to the weekly quizzes, even though the two lowest scores were dropped.

My first day in English 101 was kind of disheartening. There were all these rules in class that I was worried about breaking and the assignments sounded a bit harsh too. Like, no matter how well you're doing in class, if you don't get a passing grade on the final (an in-class essay) you fail the class. That and the professor came off as a no-nonsense, "so much as blink out of turn and I will end you" kind of guy. Couldn't be further from the truth. I enjoyed this class just as much as I enjoyed Anthropology. I got along with the professor quite a lot too. I had a feeling I might get a really good grade out of his class. Boy was I off.

English Composition I 4.0
I got a GREAT grade! I was hoping that I'd get a 4.0, because every assignment I turned in got full marks. Nevertheless I was still a bit shocked when I looked at my transcript yesterday. I don't think I've gotten the equivalent of a 4.0... well, ever I think. Whenever I think about this I get a smile on my face. Of all the classes to get a 4.0 in, I'm glad English was the first one. And it won't be the last one, either.

My GPA did drop a smidge, from 3.63 to 3.58, but I'm still very happy with myself. And I can't wait 'til Spring Quarter starts. It's gonna be frikkin' awesome!

4 comments:

KaTrina said...

:)

Heidi D said...

I was totally fooled at first. Even though you told me your grades before reading this. I was like "Oh no! He must have got the wrong information. How on Earth did he get those grades?"

I'm glad you were just joking me.

SuzanSayz said...

Kelly the only thing I could even be a tiny bit unhappy about is that you didn't do this while in public school. But even that isn't a big deal anymore. I. Am. Very. Proud.

andrea said...

awesome work :)
you should be proud of yourself :)