Friday, November 21, 2008

Intelligence

We recently started covering Intelligence in my Psychology class. It's been really interesting so far. Intelligence is one of those things that, while we know it exists, there's really no way to directly study or properly test it.

One study in particular was done with orphaned inner city children that have to sell stuff on the streets to make a living. They were given a series of math questions appropriate for their age had they been in school. They failed miserably. But, once they were given math problems tailored to their profession, for example 'If you have X cases of soda and sell through X amount, what would your profit be after cover costs?', they answered them correctly and immediately.

So like I said, really interesting stuff. Somehow we segued into the intelligence tests given to children in elementary school. The instructor related his own story of the faculty trying to put him into the advanced class. Then I remembered back in second grade when I was put into the advanced class.

I'm sure my mom would be able to shed more light on this(and I'd be happy if she did), but all I remember is being told how special I was for being chosen for this class and how incredible it would be for me. LIEEES!!!

For the short time I attended, I hated every moment of it. Every day I'd spend the last hour or so of school in this poorly lit room, talking about a book I didn't read, and having all kinds of homework shoved into my lap. Seriously, is that all advanced class is? To inundate kids with too much work? Yes. Yes it is. I felt like I was being punished for being special.

I don't know how I got out of the class, but I probably either complained enough to be let out of it, or the fact that I wasn't doing any of the work so graciously given to me. My mom will have to answer that one.

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

You got out of that class because I called the school, talked to the teacher,(I already knew her because Donald had previously been in the class) I had quite a time convincing her that it wasn't a good time for you to be in the smart class. She was also quite surprised because it was considered quite an honor at Eastgate to even be considered for the class. I agreed that the work they were doing was in no means beyong you academically. But I was able to convince her that you felt punished by having to do extra work. I have always felt bad about you refusing to be a part of something like that honors class. As I recall the work required was fun and creative and for most kids would have been not only challenging but interesting and creative. Oh well. What could I do? You hated everything about school and after a few years your grades started to show it.
BUT, your teachers NEVER stopped telling me how frustrating it was because they knew how bright you were.
I guess now that you are doing college you finally have your chance to prove all those past teachers right and to impress your new teachers that have no idea what a slacker you used to be.

Heidi D said...

I freekin hate homework! I hate school too for that matter. I feel punished when I have to go to parent teacher conferences.

KaTrina said...

Mer.