Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Close calls in the workplace

I got a call around 3:30 today from my boss asking if I knew I was supposed to be at work. This surprised me, because I could have sworn that I didn't work until 5. Nope, today I was scheduled 2-8. So naturally I changed into my work clothes and headed out as quickly as the icy streets would allow me (it took 20 minutes instead of the usual 12), and got to work about two hours late.

That's not what this post is about though. After organizing all of the dishes, and washing some of the bigger ones, the drain was beginning to back up from all the food clutter and dirty water down there. Lovely image, I know. Well, when I turned on the garbage disposal there was a loud metallic SHINK, and like a bolt of silver quickness, a knife shot from the drain.

Only because of pure instinct was I able to keep track of the knife as it flew through the air, hit the ceiling outside of the dishpit and fell with a clang on the red tile floor. I couldn't help but yell out an expletive appropriate to what I'd just witnessed, which was closely followed by "That could have killed me."

Now I don't want any "Next time be sure"'s or "Don't forget"'s. This was a freak accident. And there have been plenty of times when I've checked to make sure there was no silverware down there, only to hear the familiar grind and clank when I turned it on.

I really wish everybody could have seen it though. It was incredible.

6 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Clearly, you need to have video surveillance running at all times while you're working.

Heidi D said...

I just had a pina colada. Now, I'm going to bed.

Good night. :) Knifeboy.

Jen A. said...

eeek! Wear some class B body armor. I don't know what that is exactly but it sounds like it would do the trick.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Wow- glad it missed you. Must have been an awesome site though ;)

SuzanSayz said...

Geesh Kelly, it sure seems like if there is a freak accident somewhere looking for someone to terrify, it will always find you.
Either that or the damn garbage disposal is possessed.

David said...

careful!

merry christmas