Saturday, August 9, 2008

That's enough of that

Sorry to keep something that could potentially be seen as depressing up for almost a week. It's not that there hasn't been anything to post about (there is! and we'll get to that in a second), it's just that I haven't been able to scrounge up the motivation to get one posted. So, as not to go a week without a new post, let's get down to it.

Last Saturday was really exciting for me. There was an open house to sign up for free classes to become a Radiological Control Technician. The sheer opportunity I would be afforded if I completed those classes and became an RCT was incredible. It seemed like my life could finally start! So I woke up early, printed out the directions and got to the open house to find that I needed to put down $500 right then, and pay another $3,000 for the classes in $1,000 monthly installments.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly sir. Bravo.

That's pretty much what inspired the poem. So many times I've gotten really excited about something in my life only to have it fall apart at the last second. Like I said in the poem; I always get back up and I just keep going.

So while that door had been slammed in my face, I looked over and saw a window cracked open slightly.

That same day, my boss asked me if I wanted to make some extra cash by taking pictures of homes for his mom's real estate business. Money? Greeny spendy money? Naturally, I agreed and on Monday I went to meet with her to find out more about what I'd be doing.

Basically, I need to take six kinds of pictures of each house I'm sent to; the front, both sides, house number, street sign and a 'street scene' (basically a picture of the street with a smidge of the house included). I receive the addresses of the homes I need to photograph by e-mail and after I've taken the photos I e-mail them back. I get paid per house and I get extra for houses outside the Tri-Cities (Benton City, Burbank, West Richland, etc.) Every so often I'll take interior pictures or even put up signs on the property. I get paid even more for doing those.

So while it isn't exactly up to par with being an RCT, you never know where something like this could lead.

As a funny aside, I managed to hurt myself with a dried out shard of cheese (the kind from a cheese shredder) tonight at work. It was stuck to a plate and even after attacking it with the sprayer, scrubber and even steel wool, it showed no signs of relenting. So I decided to do it the old fashioned way and scrape it off with my thumbnail... hmm, the little piece of cheese seems to have made it's way under my thumbnail... all the way under my thumbnail... ow.

I'm sure that's how my subconscious processed what had happened, but my conscious self was vocal to the point that everybody else in the kitchen thought I'd cut myself deep or something of mine off.

"Kelly, what happened?"
"I cut myself with a piece of cheese!"

I immediately went over to where we kept the steak knives and picked one that had a pointy edge and got to digging out the cheese. To put it in perspective, it was about a quarter of an inch long and it was all the way in there. I got it out after about a minute of semi-painful thumbnail digging and went back to work with a new story to tell. I also ran off a joke/pun a couple minutes afterwards.

"Y'know what would have made this really funny? If it was sharp cheddar and not just medium."

I give thanks to my Mom for keeping a cool and logical head whenever any of her kids got hurt. Because of her I'm able to stay calm whenever I get hurt. Thankfully, I haven't had many opportunities to stay calm.

Well, there ya go. Hopefully I'll get some actual comments now. Honestly, my average has plummeted!

2 comments:

KaTrina said...

You make me giggle.

SuzanSayz said...

Kelly this was a very enjoyable post. You haven't told me about the cheese incident and all I can say is OUCH! I also thought your litte joke about sharp cheese was very clever!
Love Mom