Saturday, August 30, 2008

Which brings us to...

I'm listening to The Scientist by Coldplay right now. I believe it sums up my feelings perfectly. I have it set on my playlist right now. The lyrics are right here for those interested.

When KaTrina left I knew that we'd be going back to the phone being our main source of contact. It's not so bad but in the last few months, the house phones began to die after about an hour of usage. They'd start to beep a few seconds before they died letting you know to wrap up the conversation. Not with me.

Once the phone started to beep I'd snap to attention and scramble to get to the other phone before the one I was on died, much to the enjoyment of KaTrina who got to listen to me almost kill myself running down the stairs. Believe me, it was pretty funny when it happened.

But that, along with them being house phones and other people in the house wanting to use them, made it less than fulfilling to depend on them. So, after years of prodding by my family and friends (KaTrina especially, but didn't you kinda see that one coming? hehe), on the 4th of July I went and got a CELL PHONE!

So if you've been following along, I finally got around to buying a cell phone so I'd have an easier time staying in touch with KaTrina. She only has a cell phone so it was taking up a lot of minutes to talk to me as much as she was. KaTrina is with Sprint and since she was who I'd be talking to the most, I went with Sprint as well since it would be free for us to talk.

I've had it almost 2 months now and I'm really enjoying having it. I almost feel like I've kinda caught up with my generation to a degree. Almost. There was one thing bigger than getting an MP3 player, a job, or even a cell phone...

For years my family, Heidi being the most vocal out of ANY of them, and my friends, KaTrina the most vocal out of that category, have talked to me about going to college. It just never seemed right for me. I had a hard enough time graduating from high school. Not to mention the money it would cost and the time it would take for college. It was nice to talk and think about it, but I could never actually do it.

Late one night while KaTrina was here, her and I went to Denny's to hang out and get something to eat. The conversation managed to wend it's way to our futures. Now, I think it's safe to say on here that I'm in love with KaTrina. I can tell by your complete non-reaction that you already knew that so I'll make this quick. I'll do anything to be with her. Wow, that really was quick.

Anyway, we were on the subject of our future when she began to write something on a piece of paper. I sat quietly and waited for her to finish writing, not really sure what she was writing in the first place. About a minute later she ripped off the part she wrote on, folded it in two and passed it over to me. Opening it revealed a 'To-Do List' of sorts. It pretty much said, 'Get financial aid and go to school so you can do what you want.' I gladly took the list and put it in my wallet.

Remember how I said I'll do anything? That very night I went to the FAFSA website and applied for financial aid to go to college. Soon after I received all the information I needed to get ready to apply for, and eventually attend college at CBC. I took the placement test and turned in the paperwork necessary to get financial aid to pay for my schooling. I'd finally be going to college.

Yes, you read that right. Starting September 22nd I will be going to college at CBC. I've got my class schedule and next week I'll be going to FYI (First Year Information) to become acclimated to college life and learn the campus so I won't be lost when I start. My class schedule is as follows:

Monday - Thursday
Political Science 100 Bullert, G 8:00 - 9:00 AM
History 103 Moreno, M 9:10 - 10:10 AM
Psychology 101 Taff, M 12:40 - 1:40 PM

Not quite the schedule I had my sights set on originally, but I'm very excited for what I'm taking. Not to mention that I'm just excited to be going back to school.

So, this year has had it's highs and lows and it's been on the upswing since late April. While I feel that not everything is the way I'd like it to be, I'm at least on the right track.


7 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Wow, Kelly!!

Congratulations!! That is an awesome way to turn around a year that started out so completely dismal...

Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

SuzanSayz said...

I am so thrilled that you have followed through with all this!

Janice Head said...

I took political science from Bullert and loved it! I think you will do especially well because you are an adult and have been around the block a few more times than the kids straight out of high school.

KaTrina said...

You made my eyes all misty.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Kelly this is awesoem news! I am so proud of you. What a great adventure you are heading for, I know you will do great!

We were bummed that we missed you this weekend, but totally understand the whole "work" thing. Maybe next time?

W

The Donald said...

My brudder the college boy. Take great pride in being the first member of the Sorenson children to get some higher learning. We are proud of you bro.

Lisa Christine said...

Way to go Kelly...the things you do for true love, right?

Good luck, you'll do great!