Thursday, September 4, 2008

Long Live Life

I guess you could say I'm late to the party, but I bought Viva la Vida by Coldplay the other day and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's one of the few albums I have where even after a few listens, I still haven't heard everything it has to offer.

Before this album I was aware of Coldplay and found what singles had been released to be enjoyable. Never enough to buy an album, but enough to keep my radio dial still if one of their songs came on. What changed that for me was their iTunes commercial featuring Viva la Vida.



The first time I saw this commercial I was completely mesmerized by the vibrant colors, lively music and especially the lyrics. Most especially the lyrics:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

The image that is painted here, at least for me, is so realized that I consider this verse as an entirely separate song. Listening to and merely reading the lyrics, I see a man literally sweeping a deserted street just minutes before the lampposts dim as the sun slowly rises behind him. He is there, and at that time, because not only has he lost the rule he had, he lost it so completely that society refuses him a proper place.

This is his place now. His only concern is to keep the streets clean for the benefit of a people that at one time may have revered him, but have ultimately disowned him. Cleaning the streets makes them happy, but not knowing that the streets could be dirty, they pay it no mind and in turn are even further unaware of their former ruler's existence.

Also, I see a woman that was once at his side but for reasons unknown is no longer there. The one and the only bastion he might have had when he arrives home after a night of cleaning what he once owned, is no longer there. He sleeps alone. I also believe the reason this former ruler's seclusion is so total, is because of how total his rule was. "Seas would rise when I gave the word."

How the former ruler begins his story is the most sad. "I used to rule the world," uttered meekly as if hoping that anyone might possibly overhear him and express curiosity in what he has to say. Years of isolation having eroded his sanity, he believes somebody is listening and he launches into bittersweet reminiscence (the rest of the song in this case). Happy that somebody is finally as interested in himself as he is.

The title of the song (and the album obviously :) translates to Long Live Life. With the content of the song as I see it, I find this to be a perfect title for it. The former ruler as he is now, does not have what he used to. He's likely to never have it again. But he did have it. No one can take that from him. Ever. He knows this, and knowing this makes him happy. Which is why he will be there, every night until morning, sweeping the streets he used to own and making his people happy.

4 comments:

KaTrina said...

i love this song, and i seriously love this blog.

when are you going to do your other post so i can change mine? :p

SuzanSayz said...

I plan to listen to the CD one day. I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to.

KaTrina said...

another comment to make up for my lie last night...so now you're up to 3 comments total.

The Donald said...

Coldplay is a great band. They are kind of like Oasis and Radiohead rolled into one. And the new album is great.