Sunday, November 29, 2009

The McRib

Wow, it's been 10 days already? That went by really quick. This entry will be pretty quick too, but not lacking in the "Awww" factor.

The other day, I was really lazy and hungry so I decided to go to McDonalds to get something to eat. As I pulled up to the order board, I noticed the familiar red, form pressed slab of pork (that's doubtful, but I'm being generous here), that is the McRib. I was grossed out, but just before that, I got a smile on my face.

Whenever I think about that disgusting sandwich, I'm reminded of my Grandpa. How such a brilliant mind could be swayed by subpar barbecue sauce and what is essentially the equivalent of particle board in the meat world is beyond me, but he loved him some McRib.

I think it's nice of McDonalds to keep the sandwich around just to remind me of my Grandpa when I least expect it. So does unadhered to dress codes, but that's for another time.


8 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I always thought the biggest mind number on the McRib was the fact that they insisted on putting pickles on it. They just seem out of place, and confirm to me that McD's has an unattainable pickle quota, so they try to put them on everything.

Case in point?

Their "Southern Chicken Sandwich" from a year or two ago, that looked great, but it too had wildly out of place pickles on it.

Janice Head said...

Au contraire boys!!! I had my first chicken sandwich years ago in the deep south and it had pickles on it. Long before we had chicken sandwiches in the Pacific Northwest, those Southerners were eatin' Chick filet with pickels.
I had forgotten that my Father actually ate those so called sandwiches. I guess from now on, I will think of him too when I am in McDonalds.

Jen A. said...

I cannot say that I have ever tasted the delicatessen that is called the McRib. However, I try to stay away from anything that has Mc in front of it. McNuggets, McTasty, McCraptastic ~ yeah, not gunna eat it. Ick!

SuzanSayz said...

They made me think of my dad too Kelly. I always do think of him when it's Mcrib time at mickey D's.
I of course have never even so much as smelled one, but I always figured they must be the McDonald's equivalent of Spam.

David said...

call me crazy, but i think the mcrib looks good!

Jen A. said...

crazy!

Jeanette said...

I saw your post title on both your mom and sisters blogs. It lured me in because I LOVE THE McRIB. I just had one yesterday. Maybe they make them different here in Texas. Ya know like how they serve rice at McD's in Japan etc.?!

Kelly said...

My guess is restaurants aren't allowed to serve sub-par barbecue sauce in Texas :)