Sunday, February 22, 2009

Birthday Traditions - Free Food

I think going out to have lunch or dinner with my parents (usually my mom) for my birthday started around the same time I started seeing movies.

I remember the first time we went was my sophomore year. We all got dressed up and went to Red Lobster together. I don't think I'd ever been there before so I had no idea what to order. I just wanted regular breaded, deep fried shrimp, but they had all these exotic ways to prepare it. I listened to my parents and got some skewered garlic buttered shrimp. Yeah, uhh... no.

I had a great time with my parents though :)

I'll never forget what I came home to though. Donald and Eric were watching a movie with two of the most popular girls at my school. I'm glad I was dressed up and looking good, because it kinda threw them for a loop. I was a geek that never bothered to put on anymore than cargo pants and a t-shirt for school. Y'know, and that whole social outcast geek thing. I owned that scene!

So, an auspicious start to a long lasting birthday tradition. I always look forward to the lunch or dinner (or both, like this year) I get to have with my mom. I think the only time my dad went along was that first time.

Be sure to come back for what I believe is safe to say is now my favorite birthday tradition. It's a recent one, but that doesn't make it any less special.

3 comments:

KaTrina said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY DARLING!!!!!!!!


***P.s. you're pushing 30***

SuzanSayz said...

Well I enjoy our eating out times as well Kelly. Too bad though that we chose Skippers. Never again. I guess we should stick with Red Lobster. So until next year. . . .

Heidi D said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!

Damn it! Now I want fried shrimp! How many points is that?