Thursday, February 26, 2009

Birthday Traditions - Vacation!

This is a lot later than I intended to post this, and a lot later than I planned to stay up, but I'm in a typing kind of mood and I'm at my creative best when I should really have been in bed hours ago.

So, if you'll remember, I had a birthday tradition whose conception was fairly recent, but has quickly become my favorite.

Now, if the title didn't give it away, it's GOING TO STAY AT JEFF AND HEIDI'S FOR A FEW DAYS!!! It's easily what I look forward to the most every year when my birthday rolls around. While I'm up there I don't need to worry about work, and now school, or any kind of pressure. I'm there with my sister and her family just relaxing and having fun.

Heidi and I, and sometimes Jeff, will go into the city and just do fun stuff. What's great is that with them, we could all be at Wal-Mart and we'd still be having fun. We have very similar senses of humor and are always finding ways to make each other laugh.

What's also awesome is seeing my two oldest nieces.

"Kelly, look at this!"
"Hey Kelly, check this out! Isn't it awesome?"
"Kelly, look what Bruce does when you do this!"

I'm always happy to look, listen and watch when it comes to Abbey and Lindsay. Yes it helps that to them I'm an awesome uncle who's really cool at everything! But I love them so much that I'm happy to oblige regardless.

I get to talk games, sci-fi, webcomics and all kinds of geek stuff with Jeff. It's always a great outlet to have somebody that likes the same stuff I do and can carry on a conversation that occasionally dips into said geekery.

I practically speak only in quotes from TV shows with Heidi and she gets just about every single one of them. If she ever has to ask, I tell her where it's from and she immediately remembers it. That and it's always just really nice to hang out with my older sister, where I can relax and really be myself.

I went up there in mid January and I had a blast. It went by waaay too quickly. I also missed going to Abbey's school to have lunch with her so that made me sad. I'm going up for spring break though, and hopefully it won't be at the same time as Abbey's so I can finally eat lunch with her. She always asks and I always miss it. Not this time though.

So as you can see, yes, it's very safe to say, and very correct to say, that going to spend time with my sister and her family up in Spokane is my favorite birthday tradition of all.

4 comments:

Heidi D said...

Ah shucks! Thanks Kelly. It's my favorite of your birthday traditions too. :) The fact that it's the only one that involves me might have some influence...

I think the girls spring break is the same as yours. I looked it up today. I was really excited at the thought of you coming over.

We love to have you!

SuzanSayz said...

How nice for Kelly to have a place where everyone either

A. Understands him, and enjoys his uniqueness.

Or

B. Maybe don't always understand but still love and enjoy him.

KaTrina said...

That was a very sweet post and I enjoyed it very much :)

Kelly said...

You looked up my spring break?

Because mine lasts from March 26 to April 6. I remember spring break starting in early April for public schools.