Wednesday, September 2, 2009

100 Bananas

I remember that the helicopters were really loud. Which struck me as odd because the old rumor was that they ran silent. The American and Soviet ones that is. Other countries didn't have a reason for anything as excessive as that. With how loud the damn thing was it would take an over-budget superpower locked in a preemptive arms race to silence it.

Anyway, it wouldn't have been so bad had the whole fleet of them not decided to fly so low and directly over my banana plantation; it ruffled them up, but not much else. The question of why they were there didn't really pop into my head until after I'd finished screaming at them. They weren't marked in any way, so I couldn't jump to any conclusions. I also couldn't think of any reason why they would come to this nameless spot of an island. The banana market was already cornered here, thanks to yours truly, so that was out of the question.

Then again, I didn't have access to obnoxiously loud helicopters. Helicopters that happened to be carrying equal parts soldiers and bureaucrats. It was the Soviets. We were their weak last gasp at survival in a quickly evaporating Cold War.

This is me talking now, and this is actually my 100th post. That's just an excerpt from my latest story idea imagined up from the word 'banana.' I started writing it two hours ago and I'm happy with what I've got. Sort of like my posts on here.

I didn't reach 100 quickly, and I'm fine with it having taken this long to do so. I don't put my fingers to the keyboard lightly you could say. It could also be seen as a benefit of procrastination, in that I don't jump in with reckless abandon.

There's been a lot I've wanted to write about on here but I could just never wring out the words I needed to get them on the screen.

Like the massive migration of people to the fairgrounds for the last week of summer vacation, and how I would race the buses on my bike as they went past the huge park next to Eastgate Elementary.

Or what I thought of heaven when I was younger. If they didn't have dodgeball up there then I wouldn't be too terribly interested. Seriously. The perfect happiness and harmony is great, but you can't tell me there wouldn't be others up for a dodgeball tournament.

I even came close to doing another 'about me' kind of blog entry. Those are always fun to do and paint an amusing and fairly accurate portrait of my eccentricities, idiosyncrasies and what makes me me.

I guess I can always get around to those in time.

4 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Well, the banana story isn't bad. May I make one teeny little suggestion?
Get busy and conduct some research on Banana Plantations. You don't want to include any false info on what it takes and what it's like to be the proud owner of your very own Banana Plantation.
A little research on the Russians and the Cold War wouldn't hurt either.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I loved the story, I was sucked in and would have kept reading all day..
I think a kickball tournament would be awesome ;)

David said...

100 posts? time for a giveaway!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Congratulations on the 100!