Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's, how do I celebrate thee, let me count the ways...

There are none actually.

I've always taken a bit of pride in the fact that I don't ever really celebrate the new year. Maybe it's because more bad than good has happened on New Year's for me. I wouldn't be surprised if something big happens tonight I'll be less than thrilled about, but I've got about two hours or so of my time zone left to find out.

As for why I don't celebrate the holiday; I've just never seen the need.

Ever since I was 11 or 12 I've thought of New Year's as a somewhat pathetic excuse to absolve oneself of whatever mediocrities or inefficiencies they thought made them less of a person than they wanted to be since the last time January 1st came around. Y'know, because this time they're really going to change.

See? This whole cynicism thing isn't new :P

Another thing that bugs me are the parties. Not the fun little family parties where the adults are only staying up past midnight for traditions sake and go home and go to sleep before the first hour of the new year is even past. No, I'm talking about the 'Hey, let's all get drunk off our asses and then because we're drunk, be asses!' parties.

Y'know, the kind that vapid assholes usually throw and go to.

So while I'm apathetic to the whole New Year's thing, I'm always happy when the new year just gets here so everyone (i.e. the media) can shut up about it.

And for those of you considering making any reference to 1992; you will have your comment deleted if you do.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Heidi D said...

I don't remember anything significant in 1992.

We had a nice day. We always do something fun. During the day we went to a movie. At night, we ate dinner and then snacked all night long. We played games and made smores. Then we count down, watch the ball drop, and use the little poppers that shoot confetti. We then grab pots and pans and bang them outside and shout Happy NEW YEAR! Then we toast with apple cider and go to bed.

Kelly said...

See, now that's a hell of a way to celebrate New Year's if I ever heard one!

KaTrina said...

Ours was similar, we went to a movie, then we went out to dinner. We then played Risk and then Rock Band, of which I played guitar AND sang at the same time (it's tough I don't recommend it lol), afterwords we watched the ball drop (in the Eastern time zone so 1 hour early) then went to bed.

...I slept in the new year lol

SuzanSayz said...

I sort of feel that way. I have lost all interest for the most part. The Media makes it out to be such a huge deal, and so many people buy into it. But just like the Vietnam protesters, most of them were there for the atmoshere and the partying that usually followed, than because they actually supported the cause. Shameful. It's the same way with New Years. I suspect that very few of the hardest partyers really give a rip that the old year is coming to an end, they just want a good excuse to party like a fool get completely smashed, and make huge asses of themselves