Wednesday, January 14, 2009

There is no title appropriate enough. Please just read.

'Oh you have got to be kidding me.' or one of it's many variations is sure to cross your mind and/or lips before this blog is over. Should be fun :)

So after school today I was feeling pretty hungry. I remembered that I still had a five dollar coupon for Taco Bell so I decided to go there. Normally I go through the drive-thru but the line was so long I decided it was best to actually go inside. I know, novel idea right?

Anyway, I ordered my food without incident but while I was waiting for my order to come up, an older lady came inside holding a small Taco Bell bag. Obviously something must have gone wrong with her order and she was coming inside to have it fixed. Nothing out of the ordinary, right?

It's a good thing I listened to the conversation this older lady had with the worker behind the counter or I'd have thought so too.

What really happened was this lady had gotten two extra items by mistake and was trying to return them. 'Oh, she's just being honest.' I thought. Not entirely uncommon, but still a rarity when it comes to fast food.

Then she kept talking.

Turns out that she didn't just want to return the extra food, she wanted money for it.

Yes, that's right. She was holding the food for ransom!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing and apparently the worker talking to her couldn't either. The lady was given the options of either keeping it ('But my husband doesn't want it, and if I eat it, I'll get fat) or throwing it away ('Well I don't want to be wasteful'). But she kept insisting that she be paid for returning food she got for free, by accident!

I was severely tempted to walk up, say 'Oh, I'll take it!', pick up the bag and leave. I didn't obviously, or else I would have played up that angle of the story quite a bit, but I was soo close.

Really though, I'm just glad that I was there to witness such a thing.

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

I only wish I could have been there. That was so ballsy, that either she is just plain crazy, or she must be the most desperate person on earth to come up with one like that. Of course there's absolutely no reason why she can't be both crazy and desperate. Another thought, did you at any moment wonder if you had just walked in on a filming of Candid Camera?

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

... dot dot dot ...

completely speechless.

although after reading your mom's comment, it probably was a candid camera show. It just HAD to be.

KaTrina said...

That was so strange... "Give me the cash or the burrito supreme gets it!"