Friday, July 11, 2008

He's really gonna do it!

Sophomore efforts are always the most critically viewed in any endeavor. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that here :)

I never sit down with the intention of writing a new blog. Whenever I've tried to do that, whatever I put out isn't all that good. Or at least it's not up to my standards. I'm usually just struck with a bit of inspiration and I empty it all on the page.

If you know me, or read my mom's blog entry about me, then you know I'm creative. It doesn't take much to get that spark going and it makes me happy that I'm able to take that spark and turn it into something that other people enjoy.

There's a certain skill that I have. I used to call it a trick but a friend I used to work with at Hastings, who was also a professor at CBC, told me it was demeaning to call it that. Anyway, the 'skill' that I have is that I'm able to come up with a story idea from a single word. And despite doing very well with words, it's kinda hard to explain. So I usually do it by example:

Somnambulist
Homage/parody of Tell Tale Heart. A man is faking insomnia to qualify for disability. One night an official comes to make sure he actually has insomnia. Soon enough his pillow starts talking to him, yelling 'Sleep!' louder and louder. Ends humorously.

Box
Harold is in prison. On a spaceship. In the middle of freaking nowhere! His only escape are the dreams he experiences in his gravity free cell. Once released, he think it's only one of his dreams. And... iunno, dies probably. It'll be a series most likely.

Buried (Somewhere in the Closet)
Sometimes the dead come back to life. But only to keep living as they were before. A kind of social commentary on the repetitiveness that life can offer :)

30
In a society where years of age is represented by 10's instead of ones, a 20 year old is about to turn 30.

Those story ideas were all thought up by single words and even a number as you can see.

"But Kelly? Why did you call it a trick?"

Well, because I can do it on command. Seriously. Say any word and I can come up with a somewhat detailed synopsis for a story based around that word. Some of my best stuff has come from my friends coming up to me and saying a random word. One of my favorite stories even came from the word randomness (from a friend at an old job, and I'm still writing it).

So if people besides my immediate family and KaTrina are reading this, give me a word, ANY word, and I'll give you a story.

9 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Okay Kelly if it really will make you happy. Zipper.

KaTrina said...

Pfft. What makes other people so special that they can give you a word, but we can't. Thats bologna.

I'm giving you a word anyway: Marmot. lol

Kelly said...

Zipper: A man is waiting for his blind date when he notices that his zipper is down. He tries to zip up but it's stuck. He begins obsessing so much over it that he begins to notice other things that are wrong with his appearance with hilarious results (hopefully). His date will turn out to be a slob or blind or something.

Marmot: Marv the Marmot thinks Punxsutawney Phil is a sell out. Always has, always will. He's sick of being at family reunions (they're related y'know) and hearing the same story over and over and listening to his relatives doing the same swooning over and over. But he's got a plan to take Phil's place and ruin his reputation... but HOW?!

And I'm sorry that I discriminated against you KaTrina. You know I love you :P

Lisa Christine said...

"people besides my immediate family"????? why not us? I did not know of this 'trick'. And to tell you the truth, I am quite fascinated by it. I especially loved your thoughts of the word 'thirty'.
OK, now it's my turn....lets see....hmmmmm....how about...........intrigue.

Can't wait to come back and see what you come up with!

Kelly said...

KaTrina already harangued me about this on the phone hehe. It's not like I said you guys couldn't do it :P Anyway.

Intrigue. Daniel always tried to be the center of attention. While he would never flat out lie, he always tried to inject excitement into his mundane activities when relating them to others. When Janine came along she had ever more exciting stories than him. Daniel believed he'd found someone just like him...but that was before.

Janine was not lying and now Daniel was along for the ride.

The Donald said...

AA. yup, that's it, that is the word. And yes it is a word. Knock yourself out.

Kelly said...

You always were difficult :) It's gonna be generic though since there's not a lot you can do with lava.

ʻAʻā: Ben and Amanda set out to find their friend who was last seen venturing out on a survivorman type mission across a massive cooled lava field.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I think bagabaloo - does it have to be a real word?

I'll check back!

Kelly said...

While real words usually get better results, I never did specifically state it had to be a real word :) So...

Bagabaloo: Sam and Bagabaloo were best friends... until Bagabaloo had to go to kindergarten.

Worried that having a human friend would make it hard for him to make friends with his new classmates, Bagabaloo's parents decided it was time for him to move on.

Now if only Sam would let him...

Wow. This actually has a lot of potential. Since Bagabaloo is the imaginary one he's kind of at the mercy of Sam. Not in a bad way but whenever Sam wants to play, Bagabaloo, for the most part, has to comply by being transported away from his world. Since he's imaginary though it's impossible for anything bad to happen to him.

Still, Bagabaloo is really excited for kindergarten and while he loves Sam, he just can't be whisked away anymore.

Thanks Cindy :)