Monday, July 14, 2008

What do you do for a living?

I'm an astronaut cowboy millionaire!

Yeah uh, no.

Man, that makes my current job as a dishwasher even less impressive now.

Yeah, I wash dishes for a living. I enjoy my job mostly because I don't have to deal with the public. Now that taken by itself would come off as harsh to the public, but have you worked with the public recently? Or at all?

If you have and you're still wondering why being surrounded by dirty dishes (practically daring you to get them clean) is enjoyable because it's private... let me spell it out for you:

People can be dumb. And some people, when they are dumb and need help, can be hostile as well. And when do dumb people usually need help? When they're customers!

Before the job I have now, I was a customer service associate for Amazon.com for about six months. While it really was a great place to work, after a few months it got to be really hard even showing up. I was so worried about dealing with an irate caller that it took every ounce of will I had to log on to my phone each day.

I would usually go for days and not have a single difficult customer, but there were always plenty of dumb ones. One day I had 60 calls and 45 of them were about the exact same thing. Whatever it was that could create that many calls just had to be difficult right? Right? No.

They wanted to know how to log out of their account on the website. Now it may be because I worked for the company and knew their website in and out, but it's beyond simple and to have trouble with it is just ludicrous.

There are so many more examples from all the jobs I've had that have included the public in some way that you can bet I'll be back to expound upon them. Or you could go here for the time being.

5 comments:

KaTrina said...

haha I was linked.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Hi Kelly- I didn't know you had a blog! I will be sure to visit regularly. I opened my daycare for the same reason you wash dishes. After a while stupid people tend to wear on me too. Now lucky me, I only deal with stupid parents HA-HA! Just kidding. Good job on the blog.

SuzanSayz said...

Kelly I think that it is best for you to avoid working with the public at any cost. You pretty much have to be really laid back like David (Coats) to be able to handle that kind of stress. And you are anything but laid back.

Kelly said...

Excuse me? I am laid back. It's when extreme cases come along that I have trouble with them. Look at how long I worked at Quizno's and Hastings. Two very stressful jobs mainly because of the customer.

The only reason I might not seem laid back is because of how vocal I can be about stupid people. And really that's just because I'm trying to be funny :)

The Donald said...

Yeah, but the world is full of stupid people! At least that is whe The Refreshments song says.